Thursday, August 31, 2006

Math and Why in the world am I taking it?

I was taught when I was young that life was meant to be enjoyed, but that didn't always mean that it would be easy. I am now in Calculus for a third time, and I have invested 1200 dollars and 18 months of my life to pass a class I care so very little for. I recall a scripture that says we should not spend our money for that which is of no worth. I hope I'm not in too much trouble with the man upstairs for wasting his money on this good for nothing class three times. I hate it. I hate math. Can I tell you how much? I look forward with great anticipation to the day when I can hock my calculator. I'll take the money I sell it for and go buy a book that's on my list. And I'll learn something useful. Something real. Go ahead, engineers. Tell me that my life revolves around math. Maybe yours does. And I'm truly glad there are those who know it and can apply it well. I am not one of those people. I like ideas. I like people, words, feelings, conversations, and laughter. I have never felt anything good for math. I have never laughed at math. "So I says to the guy, yeah it's actually the square root of 1!" Have you ever heard this punchline? Nor have I. I am going to leave this rock a better place than I found it, and I have a nagging suspicion it will have very little to do with math at all.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's definitely a blog written by the Shaner! :) You are going to ACE calculus this semester! You are amazing!

Lemon said...

Well Shane, I wish to join in the utter frustration that I have had through out my schooling years about Math. IT SUCKS! I am just not good at it, "hey ask me to do something that I am good at, maybe even use one of my strengths about being creative, drawing a pictures, or interacting with people, but noooooo". So my advice is stick it to the MATH man. later, I think that is where the law of consecration comes in. Shane you are great with people and that is a strength. And I am sure that there is some math wiz, who can't even make friends with Mr. Rogers and yet he can punch the heck out of numbers. I say leave the math to them if that is their strength, and then leave the things that are our strengths to us. I am not saying to avoid our weakness, but when it comes to math, I think it is okay.

Anonymous said...

Come on you two- I know you sit around and solve math equations just for the fun of it. It's up there on your list of favorite friday night activities...

Amberae said...

bam!

Anonymous said...

Shaner I miss you how the heck are you?????

Shane-o-roo said...

Thanks for all the comments, guys. Mer-you are still my hero! You need to give me your email addy. I love you all.

Amelia Chesley said...

mr. shane, i tried to send you an email yesterday and it just wouldn't work.

i'm hoping you didn't lie to me about your email address... i know i didn't misspell it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Shaner it's merber_2@hotmail.com I love your guts. It was so good to see you these past two weekends. I miss you guys a lot. There are definitly days when I wish I was still up there. I guess I'm just lonely. Oh well keep me posted on life. Love ya!!!

Anonymous said...

Shaner! Post more, dude! My cup of Shanerisms runneth dry. Refill please! Dude, don't graduate...it's so boring. All I do is party and spend money like it grows on tomato plants and live the high-life all day long. Wish we were roomies still. How's old Mike?