Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Don't write professionally about what you don't understand


So I was reading a story on MSNBC today (because I'm far too cheap to subscribe to a newspaper) and the guy sounded like a real auto industry pro at the beginning, citing some studies that said U.S. Automakers need to improve quality (and why did someone actually spend money studying something that obvious? I'm not sure either...). Thanks for the update.
He went on to compare some of the models incorrectly, which happens to drive me nuts.
He said that things were just horrible because Buick hasn't sold as many SUVs as Toyota. Genius. Do you know anyone in their right mind under the age of 55 that would think of setting foot in a Buick dealership, even to use the bathroom? No! And when buying an SUV? Are you kidding me here? Who is this guy?
He then compared the Ford Taurus, a midsize has-been (which I think should have been a never-was, but that's another story altogether) with the new Ford 500, a full size Buick-fighter that's waiting for a bigger motor. The guy said that the U.S. Auto industry is in a bad way because Ford didn't sell as many 500s at launch than they did Tauruses. What an idiot. He's apparently never heard of the Ford Fusion, the actual replacement for the Taurus. "You know, the apples just aren't selling like the oranges did ten years ago over there at Albertsons. From this we see...." Argghh.
Now, be it known that I sold 500s for a few minutes, and while I think they are great for grandpas who drive 5,000 miles a year, I'd never buy one. They are put together like most of the other overpriced crap on wheels you can find in a domestic dealership. And yes, sales for the domestic companies has been slow. That's fine. You wanna write a story about it? Great. Get your stuff straight so you can actually prove your point.
Or give me a call. I read motor trend, turn my head when I pass a dealership, and actually spin a wrench once in awhile. So save yourself the embarrassment pay me a couple of bucks a column inch to write your blasted story.

5 comments:

Amelia Chesley said...

but... but... shane, that's what writers do! we make stuff up! thats what our ditzy little sophomore english teachers taught us to do!

:p

Lemon said...

One thing that I want to know is what is so cool about the Apples and oranges. Why is it that they get all the recognition of being captain antonymns? I want to know...Where are the Lemons? I mean why can't it be "comparing Lemons and rutabagas"? Well I think this is a question that is far to deep for my comprehension level. I don't mean to be sour, but I am a lemon.

T.J. said...

shane, where were you when i bought that blasted tahoe? i could use a moped right about now.

i used to call those "mope-heads." i can't remember now which is right.

i wish that i was captain of the antonymns. then i could boss around a bunch of underling antonymns and be recognized as a great leader when ever the antonymns went to war. i could say things like: "come on men. are you apples or are you lemons?!"

Lemon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lemon said...

Right on T.J., Apples never, and LEMONS FOREVER!